About the client
The client is the world’s largest independent oil and natural gas exploration and production company.
The organisation is setting up its largest liquid and natural gas facility in Queensland, Australia. It is critical that managers and plant operators are well-versed with their legislative duties and responsibilities under the work health and safety and environment legislation.
- Lengthy and complex content
- Legal terms which are not easily understood
- Legal acts and laws that are not simple to memorize and retain
- Elicit interest in learners despite the content being dense and lengthy
- Convert legal jargon into engaging and palatable content
The instructional design addresses the challenges in the following ways:
Gaining attention through a powerful real-life event: The eLearning starts with a video describing a real-life industrial disaster at the Chevron, Richmond Refinery and the legal fallouts of the event. Reflective questions that draw attention to the importance of the subject matter of the module follow the video.
Relevant and realistic case studies: The eLearning is divided into modules. Each module opens with a leading case that follows the instructional sequence of Event -> Perspectives -> Investigation / Due Diligence -> Court Ruling -> Quiz.
- Event: Describes an event. For example, the death of a driver after the truck he is driving meets with an accident
- Perspectives: Presents the various opinions and positions that people held about the event
- Investigation / Due Diligence: Highlights the safety breaches that led to the event
- Court Ruling: Covers the verdict of the court, who all were held responsible, and which laws were applicable
- Quiz: A knowledge check based on the learner’s understanding of the applicable legislative duties and responsibilities
This instructional methodology resulted in the following:
- The case events enable learners to investigate the applicable laws and safety guidelines in context of real-life events
- The case studies also enable participants to differentiate between how people interpret an event through common logic and how the court passes a verdict based on the applicable laws
- The quizzes, that follow the case studies, enable learners to test their understanding of the applicable legislative duties and responsibilities
Results The eLearning is currently in the deployment phase.